Irthlingborough Lakes and Meadows sits on what was once the Northampton to Peterborough railway line.
The railway line opened in 1845 and provided a valuable service to people living in villages such as Irthlingborough, allowing them to travel to the larger towns and cities to visit friends, go shopping and go on holiday. The railway was also vital for local industries such ‘The Metropolitan Brick and Tile Company’ and leather works.
It was during the construction of this railway that iron stone was rediscovered in Northamptonshire and when the iron stone mine was opened by the Ebbw Vale Mining Company, the railway was to prove vital in transporting the ore back to Wales.
By the 1960’s, increased competition from road traffic meant that the line was losing money and it closed to passengers in 1964, following the Beeching report. It continued to be used for freight services until 1966. In 1977, part of the line was re-opened as part of the Nene Valley Railway.